Tuesday, June 19, 2007

PLEIN AIR PAINTING DEMONSTRATION (click here to see my eBay art)






“STANDING IN TRAFFIC” by Tom Brown
PLEIN AIR PAINTING
5x7 INCHES
SOLD

Today I invite you to “look over my shoulder” as I create a plein air painting at the edge of a busy roadway in southern California. I was attracted to this scene by the apparent contradiction between man-made objects and the organic shapes of nature.

I started with a few dark marks to indicate placement of key shapes, then immediately began using spots of color to create important elements like road signs. I continued to establish form with strokes of color that became mountains, a towering pine tree, a roadway, and additional signs. Traffic signals emerged, the sky was established and the freeway bridge was refined as the painting evolved and neared completion.

Final details such as light poles, tail lights on the cars and additional road signs brought the painting to finish. Compare the painting with the photo of the scene that was shot when I completed the painting.

I enjoyed painting this one and hope you liked “watching me work.” If you feel you can’t live without this little jewel of a painting, email me and we can make it yours. tombrownart@gmail.com

I accept PayPal, Money Orders or personal checks. I ship to US only. To see my paintings that are offered on eBay click the headline above this photo. Thanks for looking and have a wonderful day. Oh, and if you enjoyed this step-by-step demo please post a comment on my blog. It will make my day.

Today’s thought to smile about:
Listening to a good storyteller

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Pat Meszaros said...

Hi Tom,

I love these step-by-step sequences. I just wish I had more time to put them to practice--work does get in the way!

Thank you,

Pat Meszaros

9:23 AM  
Blogger Chris Ousley said...

Simple, no frills approach works every time. I enjoyed looking over your shoulder.

3:48 PM  
Blogger craigstephens said...

I really like the finished piece and I love seeing the process pics. It's a real treat to get some insight into how you work. Thanks for sharing!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Ed Terpening said...

Great demo, Tom. Thanks for posting. Always enlightening to see everyone's process in action.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Robin Weiss said...

your artists eye picked out an ordinary scene and transformed it into a great painting. I learned allot watching the process , Thanks!

6:22 AM  
Blogger artistaylor said...

Thank you for this mini-lesson. I am an experienced painter and art instructor, myself. You reminded me of a fundamental truth: It's ALL about CHOICES! The contrasts betweeen the way the scene appeared in the photo and how it came out in your small painting was revelatory! The way you de-emphasized the bright green of the unimportant signs, yet kept their shapes, and the small touch of red you added that was not actually there but sparked everything else--all showed your experience and brilliance. The mountain was so much better the way you painted it! That demo was a real lesson. Thank you! C.C.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home