Sunday, March 20, 2011

SATURDAY SUPER-MOON STORY, TOM BROWN


I felt like I was viewing an alien planet. The moonrise Saturday night was HUGE.

It felt like it was only a few miles away. And it was a deep golden-orange color. Unreal.

Of course I immediately grabbed my gear and went outside to paint it.

I realize this seems unbelievable in a painting, but this is what I saw and I wanted to share it here on my blog.

I googled it this morning and learned it was called a “Super Moon” when it’s this close to earth. The previous Super Moon was 18 years ago. Check out some of the great photos online.

If you’re an artist you might be interested in the equipment I use for painting outdoor at night. One of my free YouTube videos shows the setup. A key item is a small headlamp to illuminate my painting. You can get these headlamps in any sports or camping store. Give it a try sometime.

Today’s painting:
“SUPER MOON”
6x8 inch original plein air
oil painting by Tom Brown
SOLD

tombrownstudio@cox.net

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Dalmo Antônio said...

Unfortunately here in my city Goiânia - Brazil was cloudy.
Congratulations on the wonderful work.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Pleinview said...

I enjoy your blog and am a plein air painter in Colorado.
Your MOON piece stopped me cold because I saw it myself, front-and-center as my husband and I came out of a classical guitar concert here in Alamosa.
We see big "harvest" moons here but this was SO big and so yellow, astonishing - and wonderful.
Thanks.

11:55 AM  
Blogger hmuxo said...

Amazing job on this "Super Moon". That's exactly how it looked...

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home