Monday, September 16, 2019

EUROPEAN DOORWAY by TOM BROWN

“STUDY OF A DOORWAY”
7x10 oil on paper
$75, Click here.
   A few comments for the artists out there who follow my work. This study is an oil painting on paper. I’ve talked in the past about the advantages of working on “less precious” surfaces when doing studies. Surfaces like paper and cardboard rather than on canvas or linen.
   Most artists I’ve talked with are unaware that many of the old masters did this frequently. And many of those pieces are in famous museums around the world, more than 100 after they were painted.
   The biggest benefit is that it encourages an artist to take chances they wouldn’t risk when using expensive materials. It frees us up and allows us to paint with no fear. And that’s when we make breakthroughs; and often do our best work.
   I often do this because it’s a fun way to amuse myself, or practice, or try new things. Or just relax. It’s also an easy way to knock out quick studies that I may or may not ever use for reference in an important studio piece.
   Many artists fear that paintings done this way will quickly degrade and become worthless. The reality is that the painting shown here is quite a few years old already, and it looks like it was painted today.
   I do believe in using archival materials, but within reason. If a painting I do is still in good shape half a century after I’ve done it, I’m happy. And interestingly I just received a photo from someone today that shows a piece I painted in the 70s. And it’s still in perfect condition.
   So if you’re at a point where you find it difficult to loosen up, you might want to consider giving this a try. And let me know how it went for you!
   Happy painting!
Tom Brown

tombrownstudio@gmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home