Saturday, July 12, 2008

BOATS, HARBOR PLEIN AIR PAINTING BY TOM BROWN




“ROCK AND ROLL”
5x7 inch original oil on gessoed fom-cor panel
To purchase this, email me at tombrownstudio@cox.net.
SOLD

The CD I created for Plein Air Painters shows how I often use a pencil sketch to establish values and clarify the composition before beginning a painting. I’m including a photo of the harbor as it actually looked, plus the sketch I did to establish my “value plan” with a couple of changes in the scene.

In this case the preliminary sketch enabled me to envision how the rubber raft on the right would look if I replaced it with a boat that was moored a few yards away. I also eliminated the motor from inside the rowboat. I liked the sketch better with these changes, and painted it that way. I hope you agree.

Today’s thought to smile about:
Rowboats gently rocking in the harbor

1 Comments:

Blogger JJ said...

Hi Tom!

I always enjoy your work, especially anything with boats, water, reflections, etc. You are right about simplifying the scene to paint it as you like it, it seems to work much better...

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home