Monday, September 15, 2008

PLEIN AIR PAINTING BY TOM BROWN




“DRAMA IN THE SKY
by Tom Brown
8x10 inch original oil
To purchase this, email me at tombrownstudio@cox.net.
SOLD

Sometimes I like to really let loose like this. Pure emotion. Lots of paint. I call this “painting by the pound” because of how thickly the pigment is loaded onto the canvas.

In this one I used a huge brush and a big palette knife to get lots of juicy paint on the surface (look at the detail image).

Then I used my fingers and hand to soften and blend the paint in areas like the sky. This gives it a creamy smooth blended effect that contrasts nicely with the thick paint elsewhere.

I have taught a few classes on this technique of painting, and some day I plan to shoot a video or make a CD about how to paint this way. It’s a delicate balance. The painting appears to be almost out of control, but it is actually handled very carefully to convey the emotion and impact intended. I hope you enjoy this one.

I welcome comments or questions: tombrownstudio@cox.net.

Today’s thought:
Painting with emotion

4 Comments:

Blogger Cara said...

This is wonderful -

6:54 PM  
Blogger trailbee said...

I am learning so much just by looking at your work. This is fabulous; I love that 'loaded' look. Thank you.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Roxanne Steed said...

OMG!! The color/values/textures are absolutely wonderful!! LOVE it!

3:58 AM  
Blogger Diane Widler Wenzel said...

This one takes my breath away.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home