Friday, July 23, 2010

TOM BROWN, LOS ANGELES FREEWAY AND PALMS


“LOS ANGELES FREEWAY AND PALMS”
5x7 INCH ORIGINAL PALETTE KNIFE
OIL PAINTING BY TOM BROWN


I still paint with a brush and will continue to show those paintings, but I will occasionally feature some of my palette knife paintings like this also. There is something powerful about these little pieces, with thick juicy oil paint creating rich surface texture on the painting. Hope you like it.

To bid on this painting, see my eBay auctions:
http://shop.ebay.com/tombrownfineart/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Thanks for stopping to look.
Tom Brown

2 Comments:

Blogger Linda Popple said...

I am really enjoying your palette knife paintings with their gorgeous color and textures. Well done!

7:06 AM  
Blogger nancy wood said...

The power of this peice is in the transcendence of the color, I mean the color is so definitive that the image and the texture are secondary. Your use of color is so sophisticated, I feel like the worlds most clumbsy clutz by comparison. Some things do not matter, like spelling is not essential to great liturature, but to great art color is key. I used to see unprimed canvass as fingernails to a blackboard, but, having now seen numerous examples of your use of unprimed canvass, to give the work sparkle, I finally get that the expertise you have with color is what makes this possible. Not possible for me, but maybe in the years to come, I could reach that level of sophistication. In Muslim law, you can break all of the rules IF you have a college education (not an automatic option for the poor and for women) but once you have some college under your belt no one can hinder you, and the law is hands off, you are not even required to wear a veil. Your understanding of color is comparable to that law breaking license. Sometimes I draw at the estuary near the mosque, because there are a lot of ducks there, if I am not wearing a veil, I get a lot of irate commentary, until I say the magic words, "I studied at USF, where I learned that the veil was originated, by the Prophet (peace bla bla bla) to distinguish wives from street walkers, so that they could move about freely without being accosted, not to show subservience to God, as if often mistakenly assumed." So, knowing the 'secret' commands respect, and gives me carte blanch in the Moslem community, to draw in whatever attire I decide is most comfortable for me. NC

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home