Tuesday, March 08, 2011

THUMBNAIL STUDY BY TOM BROWN


“CATCHING THE LIGHT”
plein air oil study by Tom Brown
approximately 4.5 inches square

tombrownstudio@cox.net

Want to know one of my secrets? Quick thumbnail studies.

A thumbnail can capture the “WOW-factor” before it’s lost.

Too much thinking and rationalizing can allow the initial inspiration to fade away. Especially when the scene will change within minutes.

This one was done on a simple notepad. Nothing fancy.

Bam! As quickly as I could I made accurate color notes of the lighting and mood before they vanished. A palette knife was used for most of it (one of the fastest and most direct tools of expression).

Then a bit of blending with my finger and a few strokes with a small brush. Done!

In the hardbound collector’s edition of my paintings I include a number of my palette knife paintings along with a broad assortment of my best work using brushes. Take a look at part of the book here:
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1786423

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Ann Reyes said...

This is a very nice painting, Tom! I love the colors and the painterly brushstrokes.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home