Tuesday, September 04, 2012

NOSTALGIA, AMERICANA, BARN, FARM TRUCK, TOM BROWN ORIGINAL OIL PAINTING


This painting was years in the making. I couldn’t resist sketching this scene when I discovered it years ago. I had intended to use it in a future painting. But the sketches got packed away and forgotten.

I recently found the sketches for this picture stored in the back of my studio. And now the painting has finally been completed, based on my sketches done years ago.

I had discovered this ancient barn along a country road, leaning and about to collapse. But it had been braced along the entire sides, both outside and inside, to give it one more chance. A rusted white farm truck was abandoned near it in a field overgrown with weeds.

Inside the doorway of the barn I found a rusty pail and well-worn chair. I sketched them as well; there may be another painting there.

Subjects like this have interesting stories. They speak of lives that were lived simply and well, with purpose and meaning. Those lives are actually the true subjects of these pictures. I find them similar in some respects to a good book, complete with moods and mysteries. Revealing unguarded moments in the private histories of everyday individuals.

I guess I'm a visual storyteller. I enjoy the stories suggested by scenes like this, and I enjoy telling those stories in paintings. If you enjoy “visual stories” like this keep an eye on my auctions for more of these cherished memories of bygone days. I'll show a couple more each week, done from the old forgotten sketches that have now been brought to life.

LEANING BARN
6X8 INCH ORIGINAL OIL PAINTING
by Tom Brown


If this one speaks to you CLICK HERE TO BID:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/tombrownfineart/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg

Thanks for stopping to look,
Tom Brown
tombrownstudio@cox.net  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home