Monday, March 03, 2014

CAMPER, FREEWAY PULLOUT, URBAN LANDSCAPE by TOM BROWN


A former student who recently bought a painting of mine sent me this quote from Eckhart Tolle.
 "Some great artists have looked at an ordinary landscape no one would have looked at twice and they looked and they took up the brush and when the painting was finished, yes, it was a picture of that landscape but it also had the fragrance of that which is beyond form that was there as the backdrop, as the background to the painters perception. There was a true looking against a field of alert stillness, then it became a painting, and then not immediately perhaps even humans who were completely trapped in form recognized something in that painting, couldn't quite say what, and so it became what they call great art. Somebody was able to look at the world of form so deeply that the formless became part of the perception."  My friend added:  I think he's talking about you Tom.

I’m flattered, obviously. And I think the quote fits this painting perfectly too. It's another of my "grayed-down" (subtle) looks at urban subject matter. These people were pulled off the freeway for a rest, on their way to Las Vegas. I chatted with them when they came out to see what I was doing as I painted this. I hope they got lucky in Vegas.

Thanks for looking.
Tom Brown

CLICK HERE FOR THIS PAINTING:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home