Sunday, September 13, 2015

HOW I PAINTED THIS CHILD AT THE BEACH, by TOM BROWN

CLICK HERE to bid
I began this one by doing a simple sketch using pencil and paper. Take a look below to see that sketch.

I sometimes like to do this to capture the flow and balance of the figure at the start; the “gesture” of the figure. It’s different than doing a simple outline drawing; it expresses the distribution of weight and mass, and it also captures the line of movement through the figure. That’s critical in any figure work.

When I was happy with the gesture sketch I took it to the next step. I did a study in oils on a separate panel. That’s where I got to add the icing on the cake, so to speak; COLOR. I love color!

In this painting I was more concerned with expressing the FEELING of the subject rather than rendering mere details. And towards that end I used a bold, painterly style with big juicy strokes of oil paints.

I think that more accurately expresses the life and energy I wanted to capture, which was my goal in this painting. Hope you like it. Thanks for stopping to look.

Questions? Email me here: 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home