Saturday, August 03, 2019

THE STORY BEHIND THESE STUDIES by TOM BROWN

People ask why I paint on cardboard like I did with these little studies.

The quick answer is because it inspires freedom. It makes it easy to paint with no fear. Cardboard is cheap so there’s no worry about creating a perfect work. If it’s a failure, it’s easy to toss out with no remorse.

Think about it. When you’re painting on an expensive panel or canvas you’re reluctant to take big chances; you don’t want to ruin it, so you play it safe. Big mistake. We learn by taking chances, pushing the boundaries and trying things we’ve never tried before.

I’ve shared this in the workshops I teach, and encourage my students to do the same. Many of them have followed my lead and made very rapid advancements in their work as a result.

Often an artist tells me that this is forbidden because cardboard isn’t archival.

A little-known fact is that many of the old masters used it. And those paintings on cardboard or paper are over 100 years old and still in beautiful condition, displayed in major museums around the world.

But here’s why I do it.

One reason is that when I do a keeper like these I can easily frame them. I have a lot of these studies on my walls that are 20-30 years old and they’re in mint condition; they look like the day they were painted.

Another thing is that they’re great reference for studio works if it turns out to be something I want to create on a larger scale. Some of them have been the reference for paintings that are 5 feet wide. Some have become triptychs much larger than that. One has even become a mural.

The third neat thing about doing studies on cardboard or paper is that it inspires growth. And I gotta say, it’s just plain FUN! Truth is, fun is the reason I’ve always painted. I’ve been drawing and painting since I was a small kid, and plan to never stop.

So if you want to pump some FUN back into your painting, give this a try. And watch how quickly you begin to grow as an artist, because you’ll be working with no fear at all! It’s a very freeing feeling. Give it a try! And I wish you HAPPY PAINTING!

PS: If there’s any interest I’ll share some ideas about some micro kits that I often use for these studies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home