Wednesday, January 25, 2023

LANDSCAPE SKETCH by TOM BROWN

 I’m often asked what kind of paper I use for sketchbook studies done with oils. This was done on 138 lb. Canson Mixed Media paper, which is described as ideal for wet and dry media. And when I get a “keeper” like this little gem I can pop it into a nice frame and it will look great on any wall. I generally start with a quick value sketch using a 6b pencil, then paint directly on that sketch with oils. That’s how this one was done. I’m showing a photo of the sketch taken before I added oil colors. In the initial sketch you can also see that I had initially considered adding more background. Then I realized it would make a stronger composition if I cropped more closely to the trees and house. That’s one of the reasons I often like to begin with small studies before proceeding further. 

 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home