Monday, January 07, 2008

DAILY PAINTER SALT SHAKER OIL PAINTING


“SALT OF THE EARTH”
6x6 original oil

Set your own price and email me to purchase this.
tombrownart@gmail.com
SOLD

This was a personal experiment to find the beauty and interest in a commonplace object: a lowly salt shaker. I feel beauty is everywhere if you look closely. Here are some details I found interesting and decided to capture just as they were.

The top of this old shaker was bent from being dropped, and I decided to paint it that way. The thick glass created interesting and uneven distortions and color changes. Light was reflected from the left side onto the tabletop, creating a bright glare. Salt had spilled onto the table to the right of the salt shaker, and I decided to keep that in the painting too.

I feel these little details give it uniqueness and make this humble subject worthy of being seen as a work of art and preserved in oil paint. Let me know what you think. (A very kind viewer just emailed some interesting comments, which I have placed in the "comments" section below. Have a look.)

If you like this one set your own price and mail me with an offer. tombrownart@gmail.com I take PayPal and personal checks. I ship to US only.

Today’s thought to smile about:
Lyrics in Country & Western songs
You gotta love ‘em!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Brown said...

I just got the nicest email from a viewer (and fellow artist), and wanted to share their thoughts and comments with everyone. Here is the message:

"WOW, I love everything about the salt shaker, the fact that the brushwork is so exquisite, and the color so edible, even though it appears to be a monochromatic subject, and the fact that it is so tangible, so common, so much a part of our lives. Stunning, the darks are so delicious. I really love the way the shadow turns the forefront corner around the glass and gently hits up with the green reflective area just above the glare on the table. And what really makes this the most beautiful painting that I have ever seen is the indigo shadow on the backside of the salt shaker. How can you achieve so much with a broad brush! I have to learn this amazing grasp of painting, your work is like an opiate; it takes us beyond any satisfaction previously imagined. That green stoke at the base of the shaker, just above the reflection on the table is simply the most elegant expression imaginable, is it because it is offset by a smidgen of blue, and then darker blue on the shadow side, or is it because it is echoed on the back edge?..."

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home