Tuesday, October 06, 2009

FULL MOON, NOCTURNE PLEIN AIR PAINTING by TOM BROWN



“FULL MOON NOCTURNE”
5x7 inch California impressionist
plein air oil painting by Tom Brown
SOLD


Painting nocturnes is a refreshing variation of plein air painting. The only addition to my usual plein air equipment is a small headlamp that attaches to my cap.

The headlamp illuminates my palette and painting as I work. Once my eyes adjust to the darkness, an amazing variety of subtle color becomes evident.

I have been painting nocturnes at a variety of locations recently, and I will post some others on my blog in the days to come.

This painting was done at the edge of a farm near my home, with a full moon rising over the landscape. A golden halo surrounded the moon, and a warm light reflected into the lower sky from stores, houses and traffic along a distant road. It was a peaceful and delightful experience.

If you are an artist who has never tried your hand at plein air nocturnes, I encourage you to give it a try. I have created a FREE ONLINE ART LESSON packed with tips on how to get started. Email me for your free copy.

Thanks for looking. To purchase this painting, email me at: tombrownstudio@cox.net

3 Comments:

Blogger Ann Reyes said...

Ooh! I love it, Tom!!!

6:09 AM  
Blogger R Yvonne Colclasure said...

This one is exceptional, Tom. I love it, too.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Marian Fortunati said...

Hi Tom,

It's nice to read some of your discussion about your work and methods again... Thanks!

I always enjoy your paintings!!

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home