Monday, June 17, 2013

MORE FREE PLEIN AIR PAINTING TIPS from TOM BROWN




Wow – I can’t believe the response to my recent posts. Thanks for all the positive feedback.

For anyone new here, I’m referring to a tiny Plein Air kit I described, which I’ve been using to create spur-of-the-moment paintings whenever inspiration strikes.

The entire kit is so small it fits into my pocket, making it easy to take everywhere.

Many readers have now asked for more detail about the wet-painting carrier I use with this kit, so here are a few photos that help explain how my wet-painting carrier works.

You can make your own wet-painting carrier very simply. Start by cutting a cardboard cover that measures the same size as the art cards you’ll be carrying inside.

Then cut a piece of foam-board that will keep the paintings from touching each other when they’re inside. This foam-board should be the same size as the cover, and will have an opening in the middle to avoid touching the wet paint on the art cards. Tape it into the center of the cover.

That’s all there is to it. Two wet paintings can go inside, facing each other.

You can see how mine is constructed in the first photo, as I’m placing a wet painting inside, with another wet painting on the opposite side of the carrier.

I slip a rubber band around my pocket-sized paintbox, the wet-painting carrier and my brush as shown in the last photo and I’m good to go.

Also shown in the last photo are two “palette knives” I use with this kit. They were made by cutting up an old credit card, and they work perfectly for tiny paintings like this.

The whole kit fits easily into a pocket, making it perfect for vacation trips or whenever you’re on the go and don’t have much time for painting.

In my upcoming Plein Air Workshop that begins in July I’ll be sharing many things like this, along with loads of other ideas, tips and techniques I’ve picked up during a lifetime as an artist.

But since everyone obviously cannot attend my live workshops I wanted to share some of these things here on my blog.

This kit is great fun to use. Give it a try and let me know how you liked it.

HAPPY PAINTING!
Tom Brown

tombrownstudio@cox.net

CLICK HERE TO SEE MY AVAILABLE POSTCARD PAINTINGS:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/tombrownfineart?ref=seller_info

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home