Sunday, February 02, 2014

LARGE PLEIN AIR PAINTING and WORKSHOP NOTES by TOM BROWN





Saturday morning I taught a Plein Air workshop for an enthusiastic group of artists. We had perfect weather and a wonderful location with breathtaking views of Saddleback Mountain.

Here are some photos of my demonstration for the group. I chose to create a large canvas featuring Saddleback Mountain in morning light. I used a brush for the block-in, then switched to a large palette knife for the underpainting and finished work.

Rich (but subtle colors) and dynamic surface texture were two goals in this piece. I wanted to capture some of the lively color we witnessed, yet tone it down so that it was something inviting when viewed day after day. The surface texture on the canvas itself was another interest. This is the kind of extra bonus in a painting that keeps it interesting over the long term.

One of the artists in my workshop was kind enough to shoot a few photos as the work progressed. I’m sharing those images here also for the benefit of other artists who follow my blog.

I was quite pleased with this one; I hope you like it too.

Thanks for looking.
Tom Brown

CLICK HERE TO BID ON MY eBAY PAINTINGS:

CLICK HERE FOR MORE OF MY PAINTINGS ON ETSY:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home