Sunday, January 25, 2015

RED TAIL HAWK, OAK TREES, TIPS FOR PLEIN AIR PAINTERS by TOM BROWN

Click HERE for this painting.
In the detail photo of this painting you can see a hawk circling above the oak trees, apparently looking for prey. I believe it was a red-tailed hawk. This beautiful bird spent a good deal of time circling the area as I painted the scene, and it finally disappeared downward in a lightning fast dive. That’s when I decided to add him to the painting. And it gave me the title for this painting, “SKY DIVER”.

A tip for artists: It pays to be prepared so that you can capture things like this in paintings. In my Plein Air Workshops I encourage my students to practice their color-mixing at home; not on location. And to pack light. I always take ONLY what I need, and I prefer equipment that can set up instantly. When the inspiration strikes I like to get right to it before I lose the “vision” of how I intend to capture a scene like this one.

Sometimes I want to do a painting like this on the spur of the moment. But often there isn’t a place to sit down to paint. So I’ve devised a hands-free painting kit that I can use without an easel, even when standing. A photo of this kit in action is shown below.

Nothing captures the moment like a painting done outdoors on the spot, working directly from Nature’s inspiration. It felt very rewarding to be able to capture this moment in an oil painting, and I was quite pleased with the results. I hope you like it too.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a mellow day.
On the right side of my blog you can download my Videos HERE.
Questions? Email me at tombrownstudio@cox.net


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home