Thursday, September 03, 2020

MAINE LOBSTER SHACK by TOM BROWN

 Click HERE  (5x7 in. Oil painting on cardboard – starts at $20)


 

This is a studio painting done from photos. In this piece I attempted to loosen up and paint freely, using bold, juicy strokes of luscious oils. I wanted to capture the feeling of the scene without including too many fussy details. I often use cardboard when doing studies like this. I’ve done this all my life. But recently it has become obvious that these are appreciated by collectors as well, so many artists (including myself) have begun to release some of them for sale. Canvas or board are not the only acceptable surfaces for oil paintings. Many of the “Old Masters” (from the 1800s onward) did studies or finished works on paper or cardboard, and countless examples of these are in museums all over the world, in pristine condition. Some names you may recognize are Degas, Cezanne, Van Gogh, Toulouse Lautrec, Picasso, Vuillard, Bonnard and more. Hope you like this one. And thanks for looking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home