Friday, January 30, 2009

RED TAIL HAWK PLEIN AIR PAINTING BY TOM BROWN




“GUARDIAN OF THE CANYON”
8x6 inch plein air oil painting
by Tom Brown

To purchase this painting, email me at: tombrownstudio@cox.net
SOLD

It was worth a long hike to witness this moment. A red tailed hawk was perched high on the canyon wall, surveying his domain. In moments I was set up and painting. I didn’t want to miss this chance.

To my surprise the hawk remained motionless until this painting was nearly complete. It almost seemed he was posing for me. Perhaps he was. Click the image for a larger view. The hawk is seen against the sky on an outcropping of rock.

Plein air painting offers joys that are not to be experienced in the studio. But the key to enjoying it is to pack correctly. Don’t take too much, and don’t take too little.

The plein air kit I used for this painting weighs only three pounds including the tripod. It costs a fraction of most commercial models and it’s very rugged (perfect for hiking into remote areas). Plus it holds everything I need to create three paintings.

Full details about this kit are in “USEFUL TIPS FOR PLEIN AIR PAINTING,” an electronic handout originally created for my plein air students. (Now available for just $10 via email.)

The handout also gives an overview of my plein air working methods complete with two step-by-step demonstrations. And I provide a complete packing list, tips on how to dress for painting outdoors, and details on an innovative tool for solving perspective problems on location. Email me at tombrownstudio@cox.net if you’re interested.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home