Monday, May 04, 2009

SOUTHWEST PLEIN AIR PAINTING by TOM BROWN






“GOOD COMPANY”
8x10 inch Southwest Plein Air Painting
by Tom Brown

To purchase this painting, email me at: tombrownstudio@cox.net
SOLD

A large lizard kept a cautious eye on me as he basked in the warm sun near my easel. Santiago Creek is dry this time of year and the creek bed offered me a unique vantage point from which to paint this beautiful Southwest scene.

It was a quiet day and I was completely alone except for this solitary lizard. I suppose I was invading his territory, and I was careful to leave him undisturbed.

He was good company as I worked and I enjoyed watching him in his natural habitat. Observing wildlife like this is of the joys of painting on location. Sensations like this seem to find their way into the painting, imbuing it with a richness not found in studio works.

I hope you like the painting. Thanks for looking and have a wonderful day!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ann Reyes said...

Nice, Tom! I especially like how you painted the dry creek bed. Beautiful color and luscious brush strokes.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Mary Sheehan Winn said...

You have nice color harmonies in your paintings. Always adding a bit of red to make your greens vibrate.

Is that a Bristol Easel? Looks like a very efficient set up.
Love the guy keeping you company.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Tom Brown said...

Hi Mary. Thanks for the compliment. No, this is not the Bristol Easel; it’s much better. This is my compact paintbox design that is becoming so popular with Southern California plein air painters. It’s cheap, lightweight, rugged and easy to use. Full details are in my electronic handout called “USEFUL TIPS FOR PLEIN AIR PAINTING,” which is available for $10 via email. Let me know if you’re interested.

Tom
http://tombrownfineart.blogspot.com/

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home