Sunday, September 12, 2010

SURF AND SAND, TOM BROWN PLEIN AIR BEACH PAINTING



"WET FEET"
5x7 INCH ORIGINAL PLEIN AIR
OIL PAINTING BY TOM BROWN

Sometimes I like to push things to see how far I can abstract it and still get a recognizable image.

I like to go beyond the details nature offers and find the essence of the subject; the emotional magic that attracted me to it in the first place.

The heart of the subject is frequently not in details; it’s in the big shapes of color and value. The movement and rhythm of the scene. That’s what I went for in this one.

This is another 5x7 inch palette knife painting, done at Huntington Beach during the Invitational Plein Air event I am currently participating in. Let me know if you like it. Thanks for looking.

If you’d like this painting for your home let me know: tombrownstudio@cox.net

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger padmaja said...

Thanks for sharing the reference, I could feel your thought process of abstracting the whole visual. I keep studying your art every day and there is so much to learn!

5:40 PM  
Blogger M R Anand said...

lovely flow..like the transition between the beach and the waves!

7:03 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

I enjoy your every day paintings so much. Big shapes in value and color

8:30 AM  
Blogger nancy wood said...

Tom, wouldn't it be fun to have a bunch of people paint the same photo. Like having a group of people solve the same math problem, it gives you quite a lot of insight into your fellow creatures. I've never worked from photos but I'd like to, everyone thinks that I do, because I photograph my subjects after I draw them and the photos match up perfectly. No one believes I drew the people from life. I'd like not to draw from life, but in or with a group. Can you set up a class like that? Let me know. Plus we would not actually have to be together, we could draw the photo, or paint the photo, at home, and submit them for a critique. Suits me that way, I hate being around people, or rather being accessible to people when I am working.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home