Tuesday, June 18, 2013

PLEIN AIR TIPS, CALIFORNIA IMPRESSIONIST COASTAL LANDSCAPE by TOM BROWN



CLICK HERE TO BID:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/tombrownfineart/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg

I created this 5x7 inch oil painting at Laguna Beach recently as a lesson for other artists during a small Plein Air class I taught. The sketches were part of the lesson, and I thought it might be interesting to post them here.

I had done these thumbnail pencil sketches to organize my composition before I began painting. A number of tourists were on the sands and I did a quick sketch of how I intended to put them into the painting also. You can see a few small figures indicated on my pencil sketch.

I often suggest that any artist who is new to Plein Air painting should consider doing a few thumbnail sketches before beginning their painting of a scene. These small sketches help clarify the composition and allow you to paint with greater confidence once you put brush to canvas.

BONUS FOR BLOG READERS: This painting is on eBay at the moment, and the pencil studies are not listed as part of the auction. However I do still have the sketches. If you happen to win the auction, email me that you saw these sketches here and I will include them free of charge when I ship your painting.

I was quite pleased with this small painting and later used it as the basis for a larger version of this scene during a studio class I taught. I hope you like the view as much as I did.

Thanks for looking.
Tom Brown
tombrownstudio@cox.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home