Thursday, November 08, 2007

IMPRESSIONIST PLEIN AIR LANDSCAPE, TONALIST PAINTING


“COUNTRY ROAD”
6x6 inch original oil
SOLD


I am a daily painter, working in the impressionist style. I like to paint outdoors on location because I feel it helps me capture the true essence of a landscape. This is called painting “en plein air,” which is the French term meaning painting in open air, directly from nature. Colors, values and subtleties of the landscape are easier to capture this way than when working from photographs.

This particular scene is on Laguna Canyon Road, looking north. Since parking is not allowed along this stretch of the road I had to park miles away and I rode my mountain bike from there to reach this spot. I have a specially designed painting kit that attaches to my bike so I can paint at locations like this, or even at remote spots high up in the canyons.

This was painted on a day that was slightly overcast, which muted the colors of the scene. Yet there was enough sunlight to create strong light and shadow patterns across the road. This was a very peaceful scene, hope you like it.

If you’re interested in this painting, please email me at tombrownart@gmail.com. I ship to the United States only.

Note: There is still time to register for my new PLEIN AIR WORKSHOP on November 17th and 18th near Hollywood. This workshop is for all levels of artist, from ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS to professional artists. Check my website for full details and how to enroll: http://www.tombrownstudio.com/

Today’s thought to smile about:
Escaping the noise of the city and finding peace in the countryside.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim VanDerHoek said...

Oh, this is so beautiful, it was worth the extra effort to get there!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home