Wednesday, June 04, 2008

FREEWAY PLEIN AIR PAINTING BY TOM BROWN




“BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER”
6x6 oil painting on fom-cor
To purchase this, email me at tombrownstudio@cox.net.
SOLD

This is another of my finger paintings, and it was great fun! The bare field, freeway bridge and huge stand of trees caught my eye. I suppose that subject may not appeal to some, but I found it beautiful and I couldn’t resist.

I painted the majority of this picture with my fingers and a palette knife, then added a few details with one small brush.

I shot a reference photo as I set up to paint, although you’ll notice that the colors of the sky changed quite a bit as I worked. But I thought you would be interested in seeing how the actual scene looked when I arrived.

Paintings created outdoors directly from nature enable an artist to capture unique characteristics of the scene, which accounts for the great popularity of plein air paintings by collectors, galleries and museums. I think that quality can be seen here (click the image for a larger view). These plein air pieces are like little jewels that just seem to sparkle with color and light.

I arrived at this location on my mountain bike with my compact metal paintbox attached to the back of the bike. This is the same paintbox described in my “PLEIN AIR” CD. It’s very sturdy and portable. And it sets up instantly. When I finished painting I merely closed the lid and I was packed and on my way!

If you’re an artist interested in trying your hand at plein air painting, email me and I’ll share some free tips on getting started like I teach on my TV show. If you would like to purchase this painting, email me at tombrownstudio@cox.net.

Thanks for looking. Have a great day, and take time to notice the beauty around you.

Today’s thought to smile about:
Freeways!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home