Friday, December 05, 2008

ART LESSON, OIL PAINTING BY TOM BROWN



“THE LURE OF THE OPEN ROAD”
8x10 inch original oil painting
by Tom Brown

To purchase this painting, email me at tombrownstudio@cox.net.
SOLD

Here is another brief glimpse into my working methods on location. I felt it might be of interest to other artists who follow my blog.

Half the battle in plein air painting is in knowing how to begin. I recommend sketching the large shapes of the composition very simply with thinned paint on a brush, as in step (1).

Next I establish the darkest darks (2) against which all subsequent tones will be compared. Then I “capture the fugitives,” which means anything that can disappear or escape as I paint. In this case it was the light effects on the mountains and trees (3), followed by the shadows across the hillside (4) and the foreground shadows (6).

With this under control I moved on to the sky, then I continued to develop and refine various parts of the painting until it was complete (see large image above).

I hope this little demo was useful. It is not nearly as detailed as my art instruction CDs and DVDs but it gives you a glimpse into my working methods for a typical plein air painting. Thanks for looking.

Today’s thought to make you smile:
People who go out of their way to be helpful

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home