Sunday, October 24, 2010

BEACH, LIFEGUARD TOWER, PALMS BY TOM BROWN



“NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY”
5x7 inch original oil painting
by Tom Brown

On a nearly deserted stretch of Newport Beach in the early morning haze I spotted this lifeguard tower, and immediately saw its possibilities as the subject for a charming glimpse of beach life.

“NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY” was the sign posted on the side of this stand, and I felt that would make an interesting title for this piece.

By grouping the entire mass of background buildings into a single value-shape I minimized the focus on the background. This helped place greater emphasis on the lifeguard tower as the key focal point. I was pleased with this result and I hope you like it.

Thanks for stopping,
Tom Brown
tombrownstudio@cox.net

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

Great job editing out all the confusion and keeping the focus. I find it a great learning tool seeing the reference photos and what you do with the subject.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Radical Reconstruction Fine Art said...

It is very elegant, I was stunned at first, it has the same monochromatic character that my work has, since my baby bunny was killed by Officer Rin Tin Tin. I paint like clockwork every day, but it all looks like the same day, and not a day anyone would have any enthusiasm for. Eventually I'll get over it. Thanks for being such a reservoir of creativity and inspiration.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home