Saturday, June 21, 2008

PLEIN AIR DAILY PAINTING BY TOM BROWN



“SEARCHING FOR THE PERFECT WAVE”
6x8 inch original oil on canvas

To purchase this, email me at tombrownstudio@cox.net.

I teach a plein air class for other artists on Saturday mornings, and constantly scout for new locations to keep it interesting. This beautiful spot at the ocean is a place I plan to teach a class soon and couldn’t resist painting it while I was there to check it out.

I wanted to capture the shimmering reflections of the white foam beneath the waves in this painting. I even shot reference photos for the benefit of my students so I could point out some of the things to watch for when painting waves. I wasn’t sure if the camera would capture it, but if you look closely you can see these reflections in the photos as well. By the way, check out the surfer catching the wave in the bottom photo.

If you can’t attend my workshops you may be interested in my CDs or DVDs on plein air painting. It’s the next best thing to painting on location with me. Email for details: tombrownstudio@cox.net.

Today’s thought to smile about:
Watching a good surfer work the wave

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan Carlin said...

Thank you for the closer look! Very helpful.

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home