Saturday, February 08, 2014

SMALL TOWN, MAIN STREET, URBAN PLEIN AIR by TOM BROWN


This is another of my small pochade Plein Air paintings of a small town's Main Street, in early morning light. I arrived shortly before the light was at its best, and shot a quick photo of what I planned to paint. Soon the sun was at an angle that gave me a better composition and I went to work, quickly capturing the scene before the light changed again.

The pochade paint box I used for this is one of my favorites and I keep it in the car whenever I'm out. It's entirely self-contained and I'm set up to paint within about 2 minutes when I spot a subject I want to paint. I keep wet oil paints in this pochade box at all times.

Oil paints dry by oxidation, and freezing them prevents that from occurring. So whenever I return home from a painting trip I simply place the entire box into the freezer, which prevents the paints from hardening. The next day I pop it into the car when I leave for another painting session and the paints are always nice and juicy to work with.

I'm showing a photo here of the scene the way it looked when I first arrived on location, for comparison with my artistic interpretation of  the subject.

CLICK HERE TO BID ON THIS 6x4-INCH PLEIN AIR PAINTING:

CLICK HERE FOR MORE OF MY PAINTINGS:

Thanks for looking.
Tom Brown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home