Friday, July 06, 2007

Papa Hemingway At Starbucks (click here to see my other art on eBay)




“PAPA HEMINGWAY AT STARBUCKS” by Tom Brown
FIGURATIVE DAILY PAINTING
6x8 Inches, Original oil, ready to frame
SOLD

I spotted this couple at a local Starbucks. The gentleman reminded me of Papa Hemingway, beard and all. I immediately knew I wanted to paint him and I grabbed one of my custom-designed paintboxes from the car -- a compact kit that looks similar to a small laptop computer.

I have found that I can work with this paintbox in my lap while sitting at an outdoor cafe and no one pays any attention. I appear to be just another laptopper working on the internet while having coffee. (I’m including a photo of my “laptop” kit for the benefit of other artists who check my blog.) I was in luck and this couple remained virtually motionless the entire time I painted this picture. I am pleased with how it turned out.

If you are interested in buying this painting, please email me at: tombrownart@gmail.com.

Today’s thought to smile about:
Sitting down to start a good novel

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger m.s.g. said...

Hi Tom: Great "stealth rig"! We admire your ability to blend into the background while painting. Perhaps this is what enables your subjects (Starbuckians)to be in a very casual/relaxed state, rather than in a "pose". This painting is great; and conveys that casual cafe setting, down at our usual Starbucks. Love it.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Tom Brown said...

Thanks Michelle. Wish you could have seen this guy; he really looked like Hemingway. Like a clone. They were completely unaware of me as I worked. My paintbox is a bit smaller than yours, and I didn't use a tripod. I just held it in my lap. That helps. It also helped that I actually had a cinnamon swirl and coffee while I worked. I told myself it was just to blend in, of course.

The painting shown in my "stealth kit" is another painting I did the other day when I was out on my mountain bike. I fasten the box to the back of the bike, and it lets me paint wherever I spot something begging to become a painting. Like a Boy Scout: always be prepared. :-)

8:26 PM  
Blogger craigstephens said...

Great paintings and I love the "laptop". Very cool!

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home