Wednesday, January 30, 2008

UNFINISHED PAINTING IN PROGRESS by Tom Brown


“ANTIQUE TEAPOT AND ROSES”
8x10 inch original oil painting in progress
SOLD

Yesterday I posted an example of a very loose painting that bordered on the abstract. Today for a change of pace I thought it would be interesting to show a much more detailed piece during its development.

This is a work in progress that will include two roses next to an antique silver teapot on a tabletop when it is complete. The silver teapot is a family heirloom that belongs to my wife.

I am working on a gray-toned panel so that the bright reflections on the silver finish will show up against the color of the panel. A creamy white rose will be on the tabletop to the left of the teapot, and on the right will be a red rose.

If you look closely you can see a preliminary sketch of the flowers on the panel. The reflections of the flowers have already been painted in the teapot so that the paint in these areas of the teapot could be blended wet-in-wet. Come back tomorrow to see the completed painting.

I want to thank all of you who have emailed me such wonderful comments about the recent paintings I have posted here. That truly makes my day! I’m also interested in your reactions or comments about this one (positive OR negative). Let me hear from you. tombrownart@gmail.com

Today’s thought to smile about:
Reflections in silver

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori McNamara said...

Its looking wonderful so far, the teapot looks real but still painterly. I bet you will want to cut loose after this one!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Liza Hirst said...

This jumped to my eyes when looking at the DP homepage this morning - it is wonderful! I even like it just as it is - unfinished.

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home